Table of Contents
The 5 AM Club is considered to be the productivity bible by many.
This article summarizes why and outlines key takeaways from the book that can be implemented to ‘elevate your life’ – as Robin Sharma asserts.
This book was written 20 years ago by Robin Sharma, who proposed a lifestyle change that could impact your success and productivity in all spheres of human life.
Sharma elaborates on the secret to success that only the top 5% in the world could achieve.
One of them was to start your morning earlier than the rest to gain the extra purpose and energy that can vigorously drive you through the day.
He refers to early risers as the 5 AM club.
The book revolves around a billionaire who mentors a struggling artist and a failing entrepreneur with their morning routine which he himself used to stay focused and achieve mind boggling success.
Main Takeaways of Joining the 5 AM Club
Sharma builds a convincing story where early rising and following a specific routine in that extra hour of the day is highlighted as the key factor to achieve excellence in life. Sharma recommends the principle of 20/20/20 to practice his authentic morning routine.
Here are some more key takeaways.
Harness Your Biological Powers
Waking up early coincides with our brain chemistry which is the most tranquil during that hour, and this in-turn helps us find better focus.
Hence, Sharma suggests that the first 20 minutes of the day at 5 AM be spent on exercise. Exercise wakes up your body and your senses.
When we sweat it out during the workout, it helps release positive hormones like dopamine and serotonin that help bring tranquility to our mind and body, repair brain cells, and enhance our thinking ability.
Find Your Inner Peace
5 AM provides the solitude needed to meditate in order to achieve high-energy brain function. So, the next 20 minutes after the exercise should be spent on meditation.
- The early morning peace brings more inspiration, peace, and creativity to your thoughts and they reduce stress hormones like Cortisol, thereby reducing our anxieties and inner fears.
- It allows you time to bring more clarity about your aims in life and what you actually want to pursue.
- It provides time to figure out how to do those things and makes you feel at peace with the way your life is moving.
- This 20 minute activity gives you the laser-focus and the mind-power you need to stay productive at work.
The author argues that success is not only about mind-set. To be truly successful, you have to conquer your physical, emotional, and spiritual health called the health-set, heart-set and soul-set, respectively.
By waking up early, you have time to spend on all these areas of your inner self and be positively productive for the rest of the day.
Conquer Your Field of Work
After meditation, at least 20 minutes must be spent on learning. Learn from other successful people, read, write, or take lessons on what you wish to achieve in life.
This is the perfect time to absorb and retain information that you can put to practice during the day.
Early rising provides you enough time to learn and up-skill so that you can move forward.
It also gives you more time to get things done, think creatively and stay ahead by learning the latest things in your field of work and putting it to practice.
How Best to follow The 5 AM Routine?
- The book highlights that waking up early and following the same pattern every day pushes you to go to bed early at night.
- It helps you wake up early without the baggage from the previous day, and you can start your day all fresh after the necessary hours of quality sleep.
- One can start this routine by going to bed early, rising early and moving on things at their own pace. This morning routine will give you enough power to move forward faster and more efficiently